Some progress

Well, I've missed Christmas, obviously. Maybe it'll be done for Christmas 2016...

I did manage to spend a few hours on it last night. I'd been thinking for a while about fixing the LED to small pieces of PCB, but I didn't think standard 2.54mm pitch Veroboard would fit (four holes would be ~7.6mm, and the holes are only 6mm), I considered getting some 2mm pitch board, but it's remarkably difficult to find in small quantities. I also thought about getting PCBs made, but it just seemed too expensive.

In the end, I thought I'd at least try with some scrap 2.54mm pitch board I had lying around and, well it's not to bad. The board stands a little proud of the rear of the letter, but that's OK. I little work with a file to widen the hole at the appropriate place and it should be OK. The upside is that it is so much easier to solder solid-core to Verboard that it is to try and lay-on not just one but two pieces of wire on each individual leg. Plus the legs were getting dangerously close together for something fused at about 2A.

I had one mishap with an LED that went pop (I could have sworn it was in the right way around), and another that didn't solder correctly, but I got five done in the end and I was starting to get the hang of it. And the little shards of Verboard look like Shreddies.

Only another 39 or so to go.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embedded Rust in 2018

Advent of Code

I decided to make an 1980's Home Computer in Rust - Part 1